The Best Things I Read Last Year

Last year my goal was to read more.  I set an ambitious goal on my Goodreads account and set off to read 80 books. I ended 2017 by beating my goal with 7 bonus books! This year, I'm aiming to read at least 80 books again AND to blog about my reading regularly. Book blogging is something I have wanted to do, but I keep getting in my own way with excuses of time, wondering if people would read my little blog, etc.  I've decided this is the year to start, whether people read or not!  

So with no further ado....here are some of the best things I read during the last year...

These four books were all extremely impactful in their own ways, with the common thread being the windows they provided me into experiences that are different from my own. I emerged from each of these books as a slightly different person then when I opened them for the first time. Their connection and relevance to the current events in our world make them even more powerful. 


I read a TON of picture books this year, more than normal, for a big project at work.  I loved so many, too many to highlight here right now.  So here are just a few that I read and loved this year.


I will read anything Jason Reynolds writes, as quickly as he can write it.  The stories he tells are amazing and every kid I've handed one of his books to is immediately hooked. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the rest of his Track series!

Jeff Zentner was a new to me author this year and I quickly fell in love with his characters.  I laughed and cried my way through both of his books. The Serpent King was one of those books that I didn't want to end, because I wanted to follow the characters forever.

Everything Katherine Applegate writes is amazing and I've been a fan every since I read The One and Only Ivan. Last year I read three of her books, including her newest, Wishtree. Who knew that a tree could teach us so much about friendship and community. 

Highlight of my September? Katherine Applegate responding to my tweet! 

What were the best things you read in 2017? What should I add to my To Read list for 2018?







Comments

Popular Posts