Missing You

Join the Two Writing Teachers for the March Slice of Life Challenge!



Kids become readers on the lap of their parents, right?  That was true for me.  I don't remember this exact moment, captured in a newspaper photograph, it was just a few months before my first birthday.  But I do have clear memories of my mom as a reader and of her reading to me.  Beginning with books like Spot, The Pokey Little Puppy and The Three Little Pigs up through A Wrinkle in Time, when my brother and I were a bit older.

My mom taught me so many things in the short 13 years I got with her.  Along with a love of reading, she taught me how to love and take care of people, to be helpful and kind, and how to find the humor and joy in almost any situation.  I know there's a lot more I'd have learned from her in the years since she died.

People like to say that things get easier as time goes on.  I'm not sure that is true.  It has never gotten easier to be without my mom.  I have had to figure out how to live my life though.  There really never has feel like much of a choice.  Life keeps on going.  Everyone else's life went back to normal, except for mine.  I had to figure out my new "normal."

I still think of her everyday.  Sometimes in short, quick thoughts, like when I hear her favorite song or drive by our old house.  Sometimes in long, sad moments, when I truly feel her absence.  Like birthdays and graduations, holidays and today, the 19th anniversary of her passing away.

Comments

  1. Thank you Emily for sharing your deep thoughts about loss and impact of parents. May the memories continue to sustain you and help you on your life's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emily, this is beautiful. Your mom is so proud of you. I agree that things do not get easier as time goes by. In many ways, losing our mothers gets harder with time. Wishing you peace and strength today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the small moments that can bring the memories back. I loved that you had included the photo of the newspaper article. I got to keep my mom a bit longer, but I still miss so much as well. Thank you for sharing your memories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother lost her father when she was only 6 years old. My mom is now 55 and she still misses him every day. I think you are absolutely right that it does not get easier. I think that is what people say who just don't understand and are trying the best they know how to console the hurting. Treasure the moments you do have. Close your eyes and feel her presence. And never forget to be thankful for the time you did have. My mother barely can remember her dad and that is the hardest part for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect picture, both in the newspaper photo and in the snapshot in words. It's my father who influenced my reading life most, who taught me to love the written word and never take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry for your loss but happy to see how you are honoring her and remembering her on a daily basis. I love that you have this newspaper clipping to document an aspect that is vivid in your memory - the inspiration of reading. She would be proud of you and your dedication to education.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts