Up for a Challenge



I've been an #SOL lurker for a few years now.  Admiring everyone's slices of life, wondering if I was brave enough for the challenge.  Brave enough put my writing out there, to let others peek in.  Brave enough to create space in each day to write, reflect, and share.

Last year I came across this TED Talk on Trying Something New for 30 Days.  Matt Cutts says 30 days is the right amount of time to add a habit or subtract one from your life.  He proposes that you can do anything for 30 days.


                                                       Matt Cutts: Try something new for 30 days


So far in 2015 I've been making an effort to be brave and jump into challenges, instead of overthinking and wondering if I could do it.  Thinking of these challenges as 30 days feels so much more doable.  They also have been more sustainable for me than other changes I have attempted in the past.

In January I did a 30 day clean eating challenge.  After the 30 days ended I maintained many of the clean eating habits.  In February I began a 30 day workout challenge and plan on continuing past the 30 days.  So now, in March, I'm jumping into the Slice of Life writing challenge.  I know it will be filled with days of searching to choose topics, overthinking my posts, and struggling to find time to write daily.  I'm hopeful that after March I will look back and realize somewhere in the midst of the struggle I found my blogging voice.

Every challenge has it's own set of struggles, but also many rewards.  The biggest being the joy that comes from the bravery of taking action and completing something, instead of just thinking about it.

Comments

  1. It makes sense that it would take 30 days to master something or eradicate it from your life. I'm glad you've chosen to be brave this year and join us for the SOLSC! Glad you're a participant now, not a lurker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your 30 day challenges. I am up for these days of slicing and you have me thinking about the exercising I keep starting and stopping. You've inspired me to keep with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea of 30 days. I've found that I am good at sticking with something if I make it a monthly challenge for myself (No sugar November for example, or my December running streak) - now I want to watch that TED talk, because it makes so much sense to me. Welcome to the challenge! I look forward to reading your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to hear that your Jan/Feb challenges have gone well so far. I would love to know more about your clean eating challenge - the shifts you made and that you have noticed are "sticking". Here's to another great 30 + 1 days!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts