Slice of Life 6: 22 years

Tonight's Slice is inspired by a post I read on the blog Reflect.Write.Share called 12 years.

22 years

It's been 22 years since grandma and grandpa loaded the four of us into their car and drove us to visit you at the hospital, on a snowy day, much like today.

It's been 22 years since dad came into the family room at the hospital to tell us we were too late, you were gone.

It's been 22 years today since we lost you, mom.

22 years since I've heard you say, "I love you, Em."

22 years since we went for walks around the neighborhood to debrief on my life as a middle schooler.

22 years since I've heard you singing Goodnight Ladies as we brushed our teeth and got ready for bed.

It's been 22 years since I've gotten a hug from you.

22 years since I've heard you cheering (embarrassingly loud at times) from the stands at my basketball games.

22 years since we crafted or made Friendly Plastic jewelry together.

22 years since I've snuggled up next to you as you read A Wrinkle in Time to me and Ben.

22 years without your attempts at making a homemade french silk pie on my birthday.

22 years since I've seen you throw your head back and belly laugh at our shenanigans.

It's been 22 years without you and while life moves forward, I still miss you everyday.



Comments

  1. Emily - the love for your mother through all the big moments and small moments rings through your slice. A lovely tribute to a very important person, for sure! (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful, beautiful slice. I don't think the missing ever goes away. You just get used to the ache being there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts