Slice of Life Day 31! I made it!

Things I've learned over 31 days of Slicing:
  • It's hard to come up with blogs for 31 straight days
  • But...it doesn't need to be as hard as you make it (or as I made it!)
  • Inspiration is everywhere- the big and tiny moments of your day, the random thoughts swirling in your mind, in the other amazing Slices.
  • There is no such thing as not enough time to write. That has always been my excuse up until this point, and I just made it through 31 days of working, planning a wedding, various levels of stress and busyness, and I still managed to Slice every single day.
  • A writers notebook is very helpful in this process to capture ideas and inspiration in the moment.
  • Said notebook is most helpful if you actually remember to carry it with you.
  • Tell the people around you that you are Slicing, they are full of encouragement and will help you notice things to Slice about.
  • It’s scary to put your writing out into the world.
  • It’s also affirming to put your writing out into the world.
  • When you know you are going to write everyday, after awhile you begin to see the world differently.
I've learned so much about myself as a writer, the writing process, and the emotions that accompany writing. Not only has the experience made me a more confident writer, it has also served as a reminder when working with students about the pressure, the frustrations, the range of emotions, and also the JOY that comes from writing.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for creating the space for this opportunity!


Comments

  1. "it doesn't have to be as hard as you make it"--this is a lesson I have to learn again every year. It really doesn't have to be that hard to find slices. I love the one about sharing with other people you know that you're slicing and they help you find notice more. I'll have to try that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Me too. I have become more aware of what my students are experiencing in their writing struggles. This month has made me a more compassionate teacher, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts