Slice of Life Day 26: Forced Slow Down

You notice that you seem to be more tired than normal,
And you realize that you've been staying up later than you mean to.
Repeatedly.
But there is work to be done and a wedding to plan.

You notice that the side of your neck is a little sore
Is that where your lymph nodes are?
But there is a PD to plan and blogs to write.

You notice that your ear feels a little funky
Not painful, but not normal,
But there are books to read and emails needing to be responded to.

You just need to make it to the weekend,
Then you'll have time to sleep
And reset, you promise yourself.

You notice that your throat is a little scratchy,
Am I getting sick? You wonder.
Who has time for that?
There are lessons to plan and meetings to attend.

Before you know it,
Your weekend of resetting,
Becomes a weekend of sore throats
And earaches
And scattered sleep.
This isn't what I had in mind for slowing down
and resetting, you tell yourself.

Monday finds you at the doctor's office
Luckily, it's not strep.
Probably something viral.
Just make sure you slow down and rest,
He says

Resetting and relaxing is more enjoyable
Without an earache and a sore throat.
Then you realize,
You need to slow down
Sooner and more often
So that your body doesn't feel the need
To force you to slow down.





Comments

  1. My body seems to be talking to me all the time, my problem is, I don't always listen. :) I hope you get the rest you need and you feel better soon! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize these internal conversations! I have had them with myself. Our bodies won't be denied, though, and find a way to demand the rest they need. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts