Slice of Life Day 17: The Glory of Being a Regular

As we drove down Main Street in a small town, my fiance and I saw a sign for a cafe and we decided to stop for lunch. He pulled open the glass door and as I stepped through, it felt as though I had stepped back into an old time diner. A few of the patrons gave us the, "you're not from around here," stare and then went back to their meals. Perched in a place of honor at the counter around the kitchen, was an older woman, rather dressed up for a Saturday lunch by herself. When she noticed us standing near the door, wondering if we should pick a seat or wait to be seated, she called across the restaurant, "Take a seat, anywhere you like." I wondered if maybe she worked here.

We picked a booth close enough to her, that her cane was hanging on the back of it. Now that we got closer, I could see she was having breakfast for lunch and was sipping from her coffee mug, a glass of ice water, and a cup of Coke. The waitresses all called her by name and she teased them each time they walked by her. She talked to every person in the restaurant who was close enough to hear her as well:

To the man with the baby in a carseat, "Let me see that baby. Oh, babies sure are cute. Hard though. I had three boys. Still don't know how I did it. To this day, I just don't know."

To the three young girls in their Shamrock Shuffle t-shirts, "Did you run today? It sure is a nice day for a run. Pretty cold though. Too cold for me to do any running."

To herself, "Where did I put my glasses? I know I had them here. I was wearing them when I read this damn newspaper." (The waitress found them...hanging from the zipper on the woman's vest, where she had put them for safe-keeping).

To the waitress, "Just give me a smidge more coffee...then I need to be on my way to get this day started!" (She had 4 more "smidges" during our lunch and was still there when we left)

Some of the people coming into the restaurant knew this woman and warmly greeted her as they come in. Others didn't seem to know her, but she talked to them and welcomed them in like she knew them. She offered recommendations from the menu, sampled the newest pie flavor and offered some constructive feedback to the baker, and looked at home at her corner spot at the counter.

She was didn't work there, but she was definitely a regular. A glorious regular, who made it known that she knew this place well and was willing to show others around. I decided today that when I am older, I want to find my own perfect place to be a regular. And I want to be a glorious regular, just like the woman I observed today.


Comments

  1. I love that line, "a glorious regular," and the emphasis on belonging. So vital. Your post reiterates how the small moments of life add up to make the greatest impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I want to find my own perfect place to be a regular. " I love this line. I am older, and I want this too. Now you've really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts