Slice of Life Day 30: Back to the Gym

A viral ear/throat/head cold took me out last week. Moving slow and incredibly exhausted, I crawled through the week. Yesterday, for the first time in a week, I felt a glimmer of hope. I had hope there would be a day where my throat didn't hurt and my ears didn't crackle every time I swallowed. When I woke up today feeling better still, I decided it was time to head back to the gym.

Driving there I felt excited that I was getting back to "normal." I knew it would be tough after a week of being down and out, but I was glad to be jumping back into my gym routine. 

      "So far, so good," I thought to myself as I started with a slow warm up on the elliptical. Next up, 30 second sprints on the elliptical. During the third sprint it felt like an elephant sat down on my chest. I powered through the rest of the elliptical sprints and headed over to the stair climber, bringing the elephant with me. I couldn't help but be acutely aware of how much harder these stairs were to climb today, compared to a week ago. I guess my week of little movement and the resettling of my head cold into my chest has had an impact of my physical fitness!

Leaving the gym, I was exhausted and a little disappointed in the challenge that didn't exist before. But even more, I felt proud that I got back to the gym instead of this cold derailing my big picture fitness goals.




Comments

  1. It's great that you got yourself to the gym. Whenever I have a break in my routine due to illness it is so hard to get back. It's amazing how quickly our muscles forget. But you went and worked out. Next time will be easier. And soon you will be back to your big picture fitness goals. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job for getting yourself there and doing a workout! I know it feels frustrating when you think it wasn't a great workout but just remember you did much more than just sitting on the couch! I've been out of my fitness routine for about 2 weeks because of a heart procedure I had. I go back Monday, I'm nervous for how I'll do. But I know it's better than not going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts