Slice of Life 7: Former Student Success


I love to run into former students. I love reminiscing with them and seeing who they've become. I recently ran into one such student working at a local restaurant. Now a junior in high school, I immediately recognized him as he leaned through the drive thru window to take my fiance's credit card. When he noticed me in the passenger seat and said, "Miss R!" I could see he was still is the shy, big-hearted first grader from our classroom years ago. He has obstacles to his learning -- a challenging home life, arriving late almost every day, and an IEP for his diagnosed learning disability. Despite all of this, he worked hard. We spent first grade and the following summer together, often at his home, growing him as a reader. 

Now, leaning through the drive thru window, which a faint mustache and definitely taller than me, he looked down at me and proudly said, “Miss R! I’ve been wanting to tell you, learning isn’t so hard for me anymore!” my eyes immediately welled. I told him he had always been a hard worker and that I was so happy that was helping him in high school and that I thought one of the best things about him was how kind he is. When he responded, “Don’t worry, I’m still really nice too. My teachers all tell that,” my tears spilled over. 

It was always a challenge for me to release the little learners from my classroom out into the world at the end of first grade. To see them later in their lives is always extremely exciting for me. To see they are happy and feeling successful is the very best feeling.

Driving away from the drive thru that day, my fiance looked over at me and smiled at the tears streaming down my face. "I have heard you talk about your former students and I know you are passionate, but to watch that interaction was so awesome. Although, I never through you'd be bawling in a drive thru!"


Comments

  1. What a wonderful moment that you captured! There's nothing like seeing a former student all grown up and succeeding in life. You absolutely had a hand in him being able to say that learning isn't so hard for him anymore and him growing into such a kind teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this slice and can really relate. I love hearing from and running into former students. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That just happened to me at the Starbuck's drive through! My problem is that I had my students when they were first graders so, although they look vaguely familiar, it's really hard for me to put a name to an adult six year old. Luckily, she was wearing a name tag! I've been married a long time and my husband is used to me crying in the driver through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts